Priority of Consumers Purchasing from Consumers
What if a Consumer Purchases Goods that are Subject to a Security Interst?
If you still have questions or prefer to get help directly from an agent, please submit a request.
We’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
- Marketing, Advertising, Sales & PR
- Accounting, Taxation, and Reporting
- Professionalism & Career Development
Law, Transactions, & Risk Management
Government, Legal System, Administrative Law, & Constitutional Law Legal Disputes - Civil & Criminal Law Agency Law HR, Employment, Labor, & Discrimination Business Entities, Corporate Governance & Ownership Business Transactions, Antitrust, & Securities Law Real Estate, Personal, & Intellectual Property Commercial Law: Contract, Payments, Security Interests, & Bankruptcy Consumer Protection Insurance & Risk Management Immigration Law Environmental Protection Law Inheritance, Estates, and Trusts
- Business Management & Operations
- Economics, Finance, & Analytics
Protections for Consumers Buying Collateral from Other Consumers
Buyer in ordinary course protection does not apply to purchases by consumers from consumers (not sellers of goods of the kind). 1-201(9). As such, 9-315(a)(1) states that the security interest continues and 9-320(a) says the buyer takes subject to the security interest.
9-320(b) may offer protection to the buyer if the security interest is not perfected or automatically perfected under 9-309(a). Under 9-320(b) the buyer takes free of the perfected security interest under the following conditions:
- The goods are consumer goods in the hands of the seller;
- The buyer buys without knowledge of the security interest;
- The buyer buys for value;
- The buyer buys for his own personal, family, or household purposes; and
- The secured party has not filed a financing statement covering the goods prior to the purchase.
This is a very limited protection when the secured party does not perfect or relies on the 9-309(a) security interest. Since most sellers of consumer goods depend on 9-309 automatic perfection of a security interest, this can be an effective protection.