What Rules Govern the Bankruptcy Process - Explained
Title 11 of the US Bankruptcy Code
If you still have questions or prefer to get help directly from an agent, please submit a request.
We’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
- Marketing, Advertising, Sales & PR
- Accounting, Taxation, and Reporting
- Professionalism & Career Development
Law, Transactions, & Risk Management
Government, Legal System, Administrative Law, & Constitutional Law Legal Disputes - Civil & Criminal Law Agency Law HR, Employment, Labor, & Discrimination Business Entities, Corporate Governance & Ownership Business Transactions, Antitrust, & Securities Law Real Estate, Personal, & Intellectual Property Commercial Law: Contract, Payments, Security Interests, & Bankruptcy Consumer Protection Insurance & Risk Management Immigration Law Environmental Protection Law Inheritance, Estates, and Trusts
- Business Management & Operations
- Economics, Finance, & Analytics
What rules govern the bankruptcy process?
The rules governing the bankruptcy process are contained in Title 11 of the US Code of Statutes. The relevant sections of the bankruptcy code are organized as follows:
Chapter 1 General Provisions Definitions, Powers of Court
Chapter 3 Case Administration
Note: Chapters 1, 3, and 5 are generally applicable to all bankruptcy cases
Chapter 5 Creditors and Claims
Chapter 7 Liquidation
Chapter 9 Municipal Bankruptcy
Chapter 11 Reorganization
Chapter 13 Individual Reorganization
Bankruptcy law is augmented by common law interpretation of statutes and regulations by federal bankruptcy courts. Further, state priority laws and exemptions are integrated into the bankruptcy process.
Next Article: What is the Authority of the Bankruptcy Court
Back to: BANKRUPTCY LAW
- Bankruptcy Law (Intro)
- What is Bankruptcy?
- Insolvency - Definition
- What are the types of business bankruptcy?
- Chapter 9 Bankruptcy
- Chapter 12 Bankruptcy
- Chapter 15 Bankruptcy
- Who are the participants in the bankruptcy process?
- Key concepts behind the bankruptcy process?
- Absolute Priority Rule
- Pari Passu
- What rules govern the bankruptcy process?
- Bankruptcy Abuse Prevention and Consumer Protection Act
- American Bankruptcy Institute Definition
- What the authority of the bankruptcy court?
- What is the authority of the trustee (debtor in possession) in bankruptcy?
- Debtor in Possession
- What assets of the debtor are included in the bankruptcy estate?
- Bulk Sales Law
- What is the automatic stay in bankruptcy?
- What is a claim by creditors of the bankruptcy estate?
- What is voluntary and involuntary bankruptcy?
- What is the Chapter 7 bankruptcy process?
- What is the Chapter 11 bankruptcy process?
- How to File Bankruptcy for a Business
- Accept or reject contracts?
- Avoiding powers?
- Stay of Proceeding?
- Use of Business Assets?
- Post-Petition Financing?
- Bankruptcy Financing - Definition
- What is the appointment of a Trustee or Examiner in business bankruptcies?
- What is a Plan of Reorganization?
- Reorganization - Definition
- Subordinated Debt
- Preferred Debt
- What is Cramdown of a reorganization plan?
- To what extent does the bankruptcy process relieve a debtor's debts?