Key Considerations for Terms of Private International Agreements - Explained
If you still have questions or prefer to get help directly from an agent, please submit a request.
We’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
- Marketing, Advertising, Sales & PR
- Accounting, Taxation, and Reporting
- Professionalism & Career Development
Law, Transactions, & Risk Management
Government, Legal System, Administrative Law, & Constitutional Law Legal Disputes - Civil & Criminal Law Agency Law HR, Employment, Labor, & Discrimination Business Entities, Corporate Governance & Ownership Business Transactions, Antitrust, & Securities Law Real Estate, Personal, & Intellectual Property Commercial Law: Contract, Payments, Security Interests, & Bankruptcy Consumer Protection Insurance & Risk Management Immigration Law Environmental Protection Law Inheritance, Estates, and Trusts
- Business Management & Operations
- Economics, Finance, & Analytics
How do parties determine the rules, location, and method of resolving a dispute under an international agreement?
Parties to an international agreement generally employ various provisions to reduce uncertainty in the relationship and add a degree of confidence that a party will be able to enforce her rights. Below are three common clauses:
A choice-of-law clause indicates the law that will govern the contractual relationship and any disputes arising thereunder. These clauses may identify the substantive and procedural law of a particular country, international treaty, or model law.
Forum Selection Clause
These clauses indicate the appropriate venue for adjudicating disputes arising under the contract or business arrangement. It may also indicate a particular judicial body or geographic location.
These clauses are extremely common in international agreements. They will generally require arbitration, indicate the rules that will apply, and designate the individuals or body to decide the dispute. Most countries in the world recognize and enforce arbitrations carried out in accordance with the requirements of the New York Convention. Numerous nations are members of treaties with other countries that provide further recognition and enforcement procedures for arbitration awards.
Back to: INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS, LAW, & RELATIONS
Why do you think the resolution of these terms of an international agreement are particularly important? If you were entering into an international agreement with a foreign party, how would you seek to address these provisions? Can you think of any other aspects of the agreement that should be fully addressed?
Derek and Damien are negotiating a contract to export textiles from Haiti for sale in the United States. Explain the primary dispute resolution clauses that the parties should consider in their negotiations.
- International Law (Intro)
- What is International Law?
- What are the types of international law?
- United Nations
- United Nations Commission on International Trade law
- United Nations Conference on Trade Development
- North Atlantic Treaty Organization
- International Monetary Fund
- Other Economic Development Organizations
- World Bank
- World Trade Organization
- European Union
- What international courts exist and what are their functions?
- What are the methods of carrying on international business?
- What are the legal risks associated with carrying on international business?
- What major international agreements affect international trade?
- When is carrying on business in a foreign country prohibited by US law?
- What is the significance of boycotts between foreign countries?
- What US laws apply to limit business transactions in foreign countries?
- What regulations apply to exports from the United States?
- What are the legal limitations on importing goods into the United States?
- How are private international business agreements generally enforced?
- How do parties determine the rules, location, and method of resolving disputes?