Real vs Personal Property - Explained
What is Real Property and Personal Property?
If you still have questions or prefer to get help directly from an agent, please submit a request.
We’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
- Marketing, Advertising, Sales & PR
- Accounting, Taxation, and Reporting
- Professionalism & Career Development
Law, Transactions, & Risk Management
Government, Legal System, Administrative Law, & Constitutional Law Legal Disputes - Civil & Criminal Law Agency Law HR, Employment, Labor, & Discrimination Business Entities, Corporate Governance & Ownership Business Transactions, Antitrust, & Securities Law Real Estate, Personal, & Intellectual Property Commercial Law: Contract, Payments, Security Interests, & Bankruptcy Consumer Protection Insurance & Risk Management Immigration Law Environmental Protection Law Inheritance, Estates, and Trusts
- Business Management & Operations
- Economics, Finance, & Analytics
Table of ContentsWhat is Real Property?What is Personal Property?Discussion QuestionAcademic Research
What is Real Property?
Property is further broken down into personal property and real property. Real property is land and anything permanently attached to it.
What is Personal Property?
Personal property is anything other than real property.
Next Article: Fixtures and Real Property Back to: PROPERTY LAW
- Tangible and Intangible property?
- What is ownership?
- Role of Government in ownership of property?
- Role of property rights in economic activity?
- What are the limitations on property ownership rights?
Can you think of any reason why the law would differentiate real from personal property? What characteristics make real property unique from personal property?
- Robinson, Glen O., Personal Property Servitudes (December 2003). Univ. of Virginia Law & Econ Research Paper No. 03-9. Available at SSRN: https://ssrn.com/abstract=477541 or http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.477541
- Dooling, Bridget C.E., Take it Past the Limit: Regulatory Takings of Personal Property. Federal Circuit Bar Journal, Vol. 16, p. 445, 2007. Available at SSRN: https://ssrn.com/abstract=999978
- Prebble QC, John, The Taxation of Property Transactions Part 1, Personal Property and Profit-Making Schemes (1985). John Prebble "The Taxation of Personal Property Transactions" (LexisNexis, Wellington, 1985); Victoria University of Wellington Legal Research Paper No. 68/2013. Available at SSRN: https://ssrn.com/abstract=1576951