Real vs Personal Property - Explained
What is Real Property and Personal Property?
If you still have questions or prefer to get help directly from an agent, please submit a request.
We’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
- Marketing, Advertising, Sales & PR
- Accounting, Taxation, and Reporting
- Professionalism & Career Development
Law, Transactions, & Risk Management
Government, Legal System, Administrative Law, & Constitutional Law Legal Disputes - Civil & Criminal Law Agency Law HR, Employment, Labor, & Discrimination Business Entities, Corporate Governance & Ownership Business Transactions, Antitrust, & Securities Law Real Estate, Personal, & Intellectual Property Commercial Law: Contract, Payments, Security Interests, & Bankruptcy Consumer Protection Insurance & Risk Management Immigration Law Environmental Protection Law Inheritance, Estates, and Trusts
- Business Management & Operations
- Economics, Finance, & Analytics
What is Real Property?
Property is further broken down into personal property and real property. Real property is land and anything permanently attached to it.
What is Personal Property?
Personal property is anything other than real property.
Next Article: Fixtures and Real Property Back to: PROPERTY LAW
Can you think of any reason why the law would differentiate real from personal property? What characteristics make real property unique from personal property?
- Property Law (Intro)
- Tangible and Intangible property?
- Knowledge Capital
- Calculated Intangible Value
- Real and Personal Property?
- Littoral Land
- Readily Removable Fixtures
- What is ownership?
- Role of Government in ownership of property?
- Allodial System
- Role of property rights in economic activity?
- What are the limitations on property ownership rights?
- What is nuisance?
- Homeowners Association (HOA)
- Rule of First Possession?
- Lost or Mislaid Items?
- Adverse Possession?
- Establishing and transferring ownership in real property?
- Absolute Title
- Warranty Deed
- Register of Deeds
- What is a fee simple interest in real property?
- Absolute Interest
- Restrictive Covenant
- What is a life estate in real property?
- What is a leasehold estate in real property?
- What are common types of co-ownership relationships in real property?
- Owning Real Estate Personally vs as LLC
- What if Co-Owners of Real Estate Want Out
- Community Property and Separate Marital Property?
- What is an easement interest in real property?
- What is a license of real or personal property?
- Bundle of Rights
- Absorption Rate
- Fair Housing Act
- Federal Housing Administration (FHA)
- Housing and Urban Development (HUD)
- National Housing Act
- Design Build Contract
- Building Permits
- Certificate of Acceptance
- Construction Surety Bond
- Acquisition, Development, and Construction Loan (ADC)
- Flipping (Real Property)
- Buy, Strip, and Flip
- Homeowner Affordability and Stability Plan
- Building Residual Method
- Accessory Dwelling Unit
- Property Management
- Cost-Plus Contract
- Real Estate Investment Fund
- Listing Agreement
- Property Lawyers
- Multiple Listing Service
- Home Equity
- Register of Deeds
- Title Search
- Opinion of Title
- Certificate of Title
- Abstract of Title
- Chain of Title
- Clear Title
- Affidavit of Title
- Earnest Money
- Private Mortgage Insurance
- Closing (Property)
- Settlement Statement
- Real Estate Settlement Procedure Act (RESPA)
- HUD-1 Form
- Closing Statement
- Closing Costs
- Buying Real Estate as an LLC
- What is a mortgage?
- Judicial Foreclosure
- Lis Pendens
- Short Sale
- Homeowners Protection Act
- Deed in Lieu of Foreclosure
- Tax Deed
- Tenancy at Will
- Closed End Lease Definition
One Percent Rule
- Net Lease
- Triple Net Lease (NNN)
- True Lease Definition
- Land Lease Option
- Hell or High Water Contract
- Habendum Clause
- Implied Warranty of Habitability
- Emblements Definition
- What is a bailment?
- Unilateral-benefit and mutual benefit bailments?