Considerations in Selecting a Business Entity - Explained
What are the Characteristics of a Business Entity?
If you still have questions or prefer to get help directly from an agent, please submit a request.
We’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
- Marketing, Advertising, Sales & PR
- Accounting, Taxation, and Reporting
- Professionalism & Career Development
Law, Transactions, & Risk Management
Government, Legal System, Administrative Law, & Constitutional Law Legal Disputes - Civil & Criminal Law Agency Law HR, Employment, Labor, & Discrimination Business Entities, Corporate Governance & Ownership Business Transactions, Antitrust, & Securities Law Real Estate, Personal, & Intellectual Property Commercial Law: Contract, Payments, Security Interests, & Bankruptcy Consumer Protection Insurance & Risk Management Immigration Law Environmental Protection Law Inheritance, Estates, and Trusts
- Business Management & Operations
- Economics, Finance, & Analytics
Table of ContentsWhat are the main characteristics of a particular business entity?Discussion QuestionAcademic Research
What are the main characteristics of a particular business entity?
There are numerous characteristics that make a business entity unique. The major characteristics of a business entity are as follows:
Creation & Maintenance - The effort associated with forming and maintaining the entity;
Continuity - The continuity or stability of the organization upon given occurrences;
Ownership & Control - The ownership rights and control of those involved with the business;
Personal Liability - The potential for the personal liability of those involved with the business;
Compensation - The compensation and division of profits among business owners; and
Taxation - The taxation of the organization's earnings and its distributions of profits to the owners.
Next Article: Creating a Business Entity Back to: BUSINESS ENTITIES
This list is certainly not exhaustive; however, these primary characteristics provide a great deal of necessary insight for understanding and choosing a business entity.
- What are Business Entities?
- Holistic (Detailed) Overview of Setting Up a Business Entity
- What is a Closely-held vs Publicly-held Business?
- What are the main types of business entity?
- What is Creation of a business entity?
- What is Maintenance of a business entity?
- What is Continuity of a business entity?
- What is the Ownership structure of a business entity?
- What is Control of a business entity?
- What is Personal liability of owners of a business entity?
- What is Compensation of business owners?
- What is Taxation of a business entity?
- What is Sales & Use tax?
- What are payroll and self-employment taxes?
Why do you think these are the primary characteristics of a business entity? Can you think of any other characteristics of the business entity that would be important to understand when selecting and forming a business entity?