State and Federal Corporate Governance Laws - Explained
What laws affect corporate governance?
If you still have questions or prefer to get help directly from an agent, please submit a request.
We’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
- Marketing, Advertising, Sales & PR
- Accounting, Taxation, and Reporting
- Professionalism & Career Development
Law, Transactions, & Risk Management
Government, Legal System, Administrative Law, & Constitutional Law Legal Disputes - Civil & Criminal Law Agency Law HR, Employment, Labor, & Discrimination Business Entities, Corporate Governance & Ownership Business Transactions, Antitrust, & Securities Law Real Estate, Personal, & Intellectual Property Commercial Law: Contract, Payments, Security Interests, & Bankruptcy Consumer Protection Insurance & Risk Management Immigration Law Environmental Protection Law Inheritance, Estates, and Trusts
- Business Management & Operations
- Economics, Finance, & Analytics
Table of ContentsWhat state and federal laws primarily contribute to corporate governance?Discussion QuestionAcademic Research
What state and federal laws primarily contribute to corporate governance?
Regulation of corporate governance practices is a mixture of state and federal law and organizational requirements. Below is a list of the primary state and federal laws and stock exchange rules contributing to corporate governance:
- State-specific corporate laws (particularly Delaware law and Model Business Corporation Act states),
- the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 (34 Act) and SEC Rules,
- the Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002 (SOX)
- the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA)
- the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act of 2010 (Dodd-Frank),
- the listing standards of the NYSE and NASDAQ, and
- the advisor rules from Proxy Advisory Firms.
Each of the above sources of regulation are discussed in detail below.
Next Article: State Law and Corporate Governance Back to: CORPORATE GOVERNANCE
- What are the primary state and federal corporate governance laws?
- What is the role of the state in corporate governance?
- What is the role of Securities Laws in corporate governance?
- What is the role of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act in corporate governance?
- What is the Sarbanes-Oxley Act (SOX) effect on corporate governance?
- Sarbanes-Oxley Act (SOX)
- What is the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act effect on corporate governance?
- Corporate Monitors
- What industry organization standards affect corporate governance?
- How do proxy advisory firms affect corporate governance?
- What is the role of ethics in corporate governance?
If corporate entities exist by virtue of state law, why do you think that there are so many federal laws and private organization standards concerning corporate governance?