Tort Law (Intro)
How Tort Actions Work
If you still have questions or prefer to get help directly from an agent, please submit a request.
We’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
- Marketing, Advertising, Sales & PR
- Accounting, Taxation, and Reporting
- Professionalism & Career Development
Law, Transactions, & Risk Management
Government, Legal System, Administrative Law, & Constitutional Law Legal Disputes - Civil & Criminal Law Agency Law HR, Employment, Labor, & Discrimination Business Entities, Corporate Governance & Ownership Business Transactions, Antitrust, & Securities Law Real Estate, Personal, & Intellectual Property Commercial Law: Contract, Payments, Security Interests, & Bankruptcy Consumer Protection Insurance & Risk Management Immigration Law Environmental Protection Law Inheritance, Estates, and Trusts
- Business Management & Operations
- Economics, Finance, & Analytics
Overview of Tort Law
Tort law generally encompasses situations where an individuals conduct causes harm to another. Torts are specific causes of action against individuals when a recognized statutory or common law right is violated. It is distinct from civil actions involving contract or family law. This chapter explores tort law and specific causes of action in tort. Specifically, it explains the three categories of tort intentional torts, negligence, and strict liability torts and the elements necessary for establishing liability under each. Lastly, it explains the types of damages available to plaintiffs injured by a defendants tortious conduct and the defenses available to a defendant.
Next Article: Torts - Defined Return to: TORT LAW
- Tort Law (Intro)
- What are Torts?
- What are the types of torts?
- Assault and Battery?
- Intentional Infliction of Emotions Distress?
- Invasion of Privacy?
- False Imprisonment?
- Malicious Prosecution?
- Defamation and 1st Amendment Considerations?
- Intentional Interference with Contractual Relations?
- What is Negligence?
- Negligence A Duty of Care?
- Negligence Breach of Duty of Care?
- What are common defenses to negligence actions?
- What is Strict Liability?
- Strict Liability Causes of Action Examples
- Strict Products Liability
- What defenses exist to strict product liability actions?
- Compensatory damages?
- Punitive damages?
- Treble Damages