What are Securities Laws? - Explained
Regulation of the Sale of Securities
If you still have questions or prefer to get help directly from an agent, please submit a request.
We’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
- Marketing, Advertising, Sales & PR
- Accounting, Taxation, and Reporting
- Professionalism & Career Development
Law, Transactions, & Risk Management
Government, Legal System, Administrative Law, & Constitutional Law Legal Disputes - Civil & Criminal Law Agency Law HR, Employment, Labor, & Discrimination Business Entities, Corporate Governance & Ownership Business Transactions, Antitrust, & Securities Law Real Estate, Personal, & Intellectual Property Commercial Law: Contract, Payments, Security Interests, & Bankruptcy Consumer Protection Insurance & Risk Management Immigration Law Environmental Protection Law Inheritance, Estates, and Trusts
- Business Management & Operations
- Economics, Finance, & Analytics
What are securities laws?
Securities laws are the federal and state statutes and regulations that control the sale or transfer of rights or ownership interests in a business entity (securities). Specifically, securities laws purport to protect the general public from deceptive practices in the sale or trade of securities. The major securities laws include the Securities Act of 1933 and the Securities Exchange Act of 1934. The primary method of protecting investors prescribed under these acts is thorough disclosure of relevant or material information. As we discuss in this chapter, the requirements for the disclosure of information vary based upon the nature of the sale or transfer of securities.
Next Article: What is a Security? Back to: SECURITIES LAW
Why do you think the Federal Government seeks to protect the rights of private owners of a business entity? Do you believe that the disclosure of relevant or material information is the best way of achieving this goal? Why or why not?
What are the laws applicable to the sale or trade of securities?
- Securities Law (Intro)
- What are Securities Laws?
- What is a Security?
- What qualifies as an Investment contract?
- What are the primary federal securities laws?
- What are the regulatory goals of security laws?
- What is the Securities and Exchange Commission?
- What is an Initial Public Offering?
- What is a Direct Public Offering?
- What is Crowdfunding?
- Securities Act of 1933
- What is an Offer to Sell securities?
- Who are the parties regulated in an offer to sell securities?
- What are the primary disclosure documents required in an offer to sell securities?
- Forward Looking
- Red Herring Prospectus (Securities) Definition
- Registration of Securities
- What is an issuer allowed to do at each stage of the registration process?
- How are issuers classified for purposes of the registration and offering process?
- What is an issuer allowed to do during the Pre-filing Period?
- What are the limitations on the issuer during the Post-filing, Waiting Period?
- What is an issuer allowed to do during the Post-Effective Period?
- What is an Emerging-Growth Company?
- What type of information must an issuer disclose?
- What laws govern the mechanics of disclosure in a securities offering?
- Deficiency Letter (Securities Law)
- Registration Exemptions Securities Act of 1933
- What are Exempt Securities and Exempt Transactions?
- What are Restricted Securities?
- Section 3(a)?
- Section 3(b)?
- What is a Rule 147 Exemption?
- What is a Section 4(a) Exemption?
- Section 4(a)(5)?
- What is a Regulation A Exemption?
- What are Regulation D Exemptions?
- What is a Rule 504 Exemption?
- What is a Rule 505 Exemption?
- What is a Rule 506(b) Exemption?
- What is a Rule 506(c) Exemption?
- What is Rule 502(d) and the Rule 144 Safe Harbor?
- Rule 144a
- What are the disclosure requirements for companies employing an exemption?
- What is the requirement to file Form D?
- What is the effect of failing to register an offering under Section 5?
- Liability Under the Securities and Exchange Act of 1933
- What is civil liability under Section 11 of the 33 Act?
- What is civil liability under Section 12 of the 33 Act?
- What are defenses available to charges under Sections 11 and 12?
- What is civil liability under Section 17 of the 33 Act?
- What is potential criminal liability under the 33 Act?
- The Security Exchange Act of 1934
- When must an issuer register pursuant to the 34 Act?
- What disclosures are required of reporting companies under the 34 Act?
- What is liability under Section 10(b) and Rule 10(b)(5)?
- What is insider trading under Rule 10(b)(5)?
- What damages are available under Section 10 and Rule 10(b)(5)?
- What is insider trading under Section 14 of the 34 Act?
- What is liability under Section 16 of the 34 Act?
- What is liability under Section 18 of the 34 Act?
- What is criminal liability under the 34 Act?
- Liability under the Securities Enforcement Remedies Act?
- Blue Sky Laws State Securities Laws
- What are Blue Sky Laws?
- When is an issuer required to comply with state securities laws?
- What are the registration requirements under state law?
- What is Coordinated Registration under state law?