Construction Lien - Explained
What is a Construction Lien?
If you still have questions or prefer to get help directly from an agent, please submit a request.
We’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
- Marketing, Advertising, Sales & PR
- Accounting, Taxation, and Reporting
- Professionalism & Career Development
Law, Transactions, & Risk Management
Government, Legal System, Administrative Law, & Constitutional Law Legal Disputes - Civil & Criminal Law Agency Law HR, Employment, Labor, & Discrimination Business Entities, Corporate Governance & Ownership Business Transactions, Antitrust, & Securities Law Real Estate, Personal, & Intellectual Property Commercial Law: Contract, Payments, Security Interests, & Bankruptcy Consumer Protection Insurance & Risk Management Immigration Law Environmental Protection Law Inheritance, Estates, and Trusts
- Business Management & Operations
- Economics, Finance, & Analytics
What is a Construction Lien?
A construction lien is a type of lien that protects builders, vendors, suppliers, contractors and other professionals from the risk of not being paid for their labor and materials supplied for a construction project. The professional may file a lien against the subject property (real estate) where the work was rendered. This has the effect of clouding title to the property.
Back To: COMMERCIAL LAW: CONTRACTS, PAYMENTS, SECURITY INTERESTS, & BANKRUPTCY
What are the Rules for Construction Liens?
Different states treat construction liens in various ways, there are specific agencies or jurisdictions that handle the filing of a construction lien. Generally, hen filing a construction lien, the contract that states the type of construction and the job needed to be done must be attached. When filing a lien, the owner of the property is entitled to a copy of lien either before or after the lien is filed (depending upon the jurisdictional rules).
- Secured Transactions Law (Intro)
- What is a Security Interest?
- Pledge as Collateral
- Cross Collateralization
- After-Acquired Collateral
Unsecured Loan Definition
- Unencumbered Asset
- What is a Secured Creditor?
- Unsecured Creditor
- What are the benefits of security interests for creditors?
- Limited Recourse Debt
Uniform Commercial Code - Article 9
- What are the common types of security interest in real property (land)?
- What is a mortgage?
- How does a security interest protect the mortgage holder?
- Lis Pendens
- Deficiency Judgment
- What is a Deed of Trust or Security Deed?
- What is a Land Sale Contract?
- What is a security interest in personal property?
- How does one establish a security interest in personal property?
- What is Perfection of a security interest?
- What are the methods of perfecting a security interest in personal property?
- UCC-1 Statement
- How does one establish a security interest in real property (land)?
- Register of Deeds
- What is Automatic Perfection of a security interest?
- What is a Purchase Money Security Interest (PMSI) in consumer goods?
- What is a Purchase Money Grace Period for a PMSI in non-consumer goods?
- How does one continue perfection of a PMSI in non-consumer goods?
- What is Temporary Automatic Perfection in Proceeds from the sale of goods?
- How is a security interest created in Assignment of Accounts Receivable and Contract Rights?
- How does one perfect a security interest by Possession of the collateral?
- How does on perfect a security interest by Control of collateral?
- How does one perfect a security interest by Filing a Financing Statement?
- What authorization is required to file a financing statement?
- Where is the appropriate office to file a financing statement?
- Continuation Statement
- What is Priority of a security interest?
- What role does perfection play in establishing the Priority of a secured party?
- What are the common conflicts arising as to priority of a security interest?
- What is the priority of parties secured by common law and statutory liens?
- Lien - Definition
- Blanket Lien Definition
- Unperfected Lien
- Possessory Lien
- Non-Possessory Lien
- Tax Lien
- Mechanics Lien Definition
- Construction Lien
- Cloud on Title
- What is the priority of a buyer of collateral that is subject to a security interest?
- What is required to be a buyer in the ordinary course of business?
- How does 9-320(b) protect consumers who purchase goods from other consumers?
- What is the Shelter Principle?
- What are the general Priority Rules for Conflicting security interests?
- Subordination Agreement
- Who has Priority in Proceeds from the sale of collateral?
- What is a secured party's priority in future advances to a debtor?
- What is the priority of a PMSI in goods (other than inventory and livestock)?
- What is the priority of a PMSI in inventory?
- What is the priority of conflicting PMSIs?
- What is the priority of security interests in fixtures?
- What is the scope of fixture priority rules?