Security Interest in Real Property - Explained
How to Record the Security Interest
If you still have questions or prefer to get help directly from an agent, please submit a request.
We’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
- Marketing, Advertising, Sales & PR
- Accounting, Taxation, and Reporting
- Professionalism & Career Development
Law, Transactions, & Risk Management
Government, Legal System, Administrative Law, & Constitutional Law Legal Disputes - Civil & Criminal Law Agency Law HR, Employment, Labor, & Discrimination Business Entities, Corporate Governance & Ownership Business Transactions, Antitrust, & Securities Law Real Estate, Personal, & Intellectual Property Commercial Law: Contract, Payments, Security Interests, & Bankruptcy Consumer Protection Insurance & Risk Management Immigration Law Environmental Protection Law Inheritance, Estates, and Trusts
- Business Management & Operations
- Economics, Finance, & Analytics
Table of ContentsHow does a secured party establish a security interest in real property (land)?Discussion QuestionPractice QuestionAcademic Research
How does a secured party establish a security interest in real property (land)?
Secured parties must perfect a security interests in land by publicly filing notice of the security in accordance with state recording statutes. Generally, mortgages and deeds of trust must be publicly registered in a government office where the land is located. This is typically known as the recorder or register of deeds office. This recording method is deemed necessary to give notice of ownership rights and interests to those who are interested in purchasing or loaning money for or against the property.
Note: In addition to providing notice, registration (filing) of mortgages also establishes priority for repayment if multiple people loan or lend money secured by the property.
Next Article: What is "Automatic Perfection" of a security interest? Back to: SECURED TRANSACTIONS
- Perfection of a security interest?
- Perfecting a security interest in personal property?
- UCC-1 Statement
- Security interest in real property (land)?
- Register of Deeds
- Automatic Perfection of a security interest?
- Purchase Money Security Interest (PMSI) in consumer goods?
- Purchase Money Grace Period for a PMSI in non-consumer goods?
- Continue perfection of a PMSI in non-consumer goods?
- Temporary Automatic Perfection in Proceeds from the sale of goods?
- How is a security interest created in Assignment of Accounts Receivable and Contract Rights?
- Perfect a security interest by Possession of the collateral?
- Perfect a security interest by Control of collateral?
- Perfect a security interest by Filing a Financing Statement?
- Authorization is required to file a financing statement?
- Where to file a financing statement?
- Continuation Statement
Why do you think securities interests in land must be filed in the government office where the land is located? Why is perfection by possession insufficient? Why do you think providing notice of security interest is particularly important for real property? Hint: Think about the nature and frequency of home purchasing via mortgages in the United States.
Meredith enters into a contract to purchase real estate from Chase. Chase is going to finance the purchase for Meredith over the next 10 years. What process must Chase follow to establish his security interest in the real estate?