Purchase Money Grace Period for Secured Parties - Explained
20-Day Period to Permanently Perfect a Purchase Money Security Interest
- Marketing, Advertising, Sales & PR
- Accounting, Taxation, and Reporting
- Professionalism & Career Development
Law, Transactions, & Risk Management
Government, Legal System, Administrative Law, & Constitutional Law Legal Disputes - Civil & Criminal Law Agency Law HR, Employment, Labor, & Discrimination Business Entities, Corporate Governance & Ownership Business Transactions, Antitrust, & Securities Law Real Estate, Personal, & Intellectual Property Commercial Law: Contract, Payments, Security Interests, & Bankruptcy Consumer Protection Insurance & Risk Management Immigration Law Environmental Protection Law Inheritance, Estates, and Trusts
- Business Management & Operations
- Economics, Finance, & Analytics
What is a purchase-money grace period for a purchase-money security interest in non-consumer goods?
Sellers of non-consumer goods receive temporary automatic perfection of an attached PMSI in the collateral sold. As the name applies, the security interest is temporary in nature. The seller has a 20-day grace period for filing a financing statement following the attachment of the purchase money security interest in the collateral. If the financing statement is filed during this 20-day period, the date of permanent perfection dates back to the date the security interest attached to the collateral. If the secured party fails to file a financing statement during the 20-day grace period, the temporary automatic perfection is lost.
Note: In that event the automatic PMSI is lost, the first secured party to perfect her security interest has priority in the collateral.
Next Article: Continued Perfection of a PMSI in Non-Consumer Goods Back to: SECURED TRANSACTIONS
Why do you think it is important to allow a grace period for a secured party to permanently perfect her security interest in non-consumer goods? Does this create a risk to any subsequent purchaser of the goods from the original purchaser? Should such risk be balanced against the interests of the secured party? Why or why not?
ABC Corp sells 123 Corp a piece of equipment. ABC finances the purchase over 12 months and attaches a purchase money security interest. What must ABC do to perfect its security interest?
- Secured Transactions Law (Intro)
- What is a Security Interest?
- Pledge as Collateral
- Cross Collateralization
- After-Acquired Collateral
Unsecured Loan Definition
- Unencumbered Asset
- What is a Secured Creditor?
- Unsecured Creditor
- What are the benefits of security interests for creditors?
- Limited Recourse Debt
Uniform Commercial Code - Article 9
- What are the common types of security interest in real property (land)?
- What is a mortgage?
- How does a security interest protect the mortgage holder?
- Lis Pendens
- Deficiency Judgment
- What is a Deed of Trust or Security Deed?
- What is a Land Sale Contract?
- What is a security interest in personal property?
- How does one establish a security interest in personal property?
- What is Perfection of a security interest?
- What are the methods of perfecting a security interest in personal property?
- UCC-1 Statement
- How does one establish a security interest in real property (land)?
- Register of Deeds
- What is Automatic Perfection of a security interest?
- What is a Purchase Money Security Interest (PMSI) in consumer goods?
- What is a Purchase Money Grace Period for a PMSI in non-consumer goods?
- How does one continue perfection of a PMSI in non-consumer goods?
- What is Temporary Automatic Perfection in Proceeds from the sale of goods?
- How is a security interest created in Assignment of Accounts Receivable and Contract Rights?
- How does one perfect a security interest by Possession of the collateral?
- How does on perfect a security interest by Control of collateral?
- How does one perfect a security interest by Filing a Financing Statement?
- What authorization is required to file a financing statement?
- Where is the appropriate office to file a financing statement?
- Continuation Statement
- What is Priority of a security interest?
- What role does perfection play in establishing the Priority of a secured party?
- What are the common conflicts arising as to priority of a security interest?
- What is the priority of parties secured by common law and statutory liens?
- Lien - Definition
- Blanket Lien Definition
- Unperfected Lien
- Possessory Lien
- Non-Possessory Lien
- Tax Lien
- Mechanics Lien Definition
- Construction Lien
- Cloud on Title
- What is the priority of a buyer of collateral that is subject to a security interest?
- What is required to be a buyer in the ordinary course of business?
- How does 9-320(b) protect consumers who purchase goods from other consumers?
- What is the Shelter Principle?
- What are the general Priority Rules for Conflicting security interests?
- Subordination Agreement
- Who has Priority in Proceeds from the sale of collateral?
- What is a secured party's priority in future advances to a debtor?
- What is the priority of a PMSI in goods (other than inventory and livestock)?
- What is the priority of a PMSI in inventory?
- What is the priority of conflicting PMSIs?
- What is the priority of security interests in fixtures?
- What is the scope of fixture priority rules?